Sunday, January 5, 2014

GOD WILL PROVIDE

I think FEAR is the greatest evil in life. It holds us back from joy and deprives us of opportunity and adventure.  The greatest fear for many alcoholics or addicts is that 1) I will either lose what I have, or 2) never get what I want.

My sponsor will ask "Have you asked God to help you? Have you prayed for God to help you?" Relying on God for the guidance to deal with our problems seems way too simple and maybe an easy out.  Yet, for many of us, we spend years looking to alcohol, or drugs, or food, or relationships for the solution to the ache that never left.  It never occurred to us that God might be willing to provide help, support, strength, guidance and courage, if only we earnestly ask for help.  I finally did ask God for help to take away my obsession to drink and it happened.  I have asked God for many opportunities and guidance and understanding - and my prayers were answered.  Yet, still I often forget to ask God for help.   It has never been in our nature to keep our lives simple.  But in recovery, we practice keeping it simple.

We need to choose, daily, to believe that God can, will, and does provide for our needs.  Most of us have not had a spiritual experience that may be supremely profound.  However, we must decide to trust and allow the proof of our faith to present itself.  By looking to God on a daily basis to guide us and protect us, we can see the tangible proof of this.  A moment of quiet and a prayer is that that is required to start.  In my darkest, loneliest days, I now remember that God is never more than a word and prayer away.  

HELP ME TO REMEMBER THAT GOD CAN PROVIDE, GOD WILL PROVIDE, AND GOD DOES PROVIDE.

No comments:

Post a Comment